Australia Moving Guide Australia Moving Guide
Many people say that moving to a new house is one of the most stressful things you can do. But what if there were a way to make it easier? At Trucks AU, we’re here to provide an Australia moving guide. When you self-hire a truck and take charge of the process yourself, it helps to have some assistance from the experts. Read on to learn more.
Tips for moving to a new house in Australia
Moving house isn’t always a breeze, but there are ways you can make it easier. You stand to gain a lot by planning your move in advance and creating a budget you can easily stick to. Some of our top tips include:
- Dedicate 30 minutes each day to packing boxes. You’ll be surprised at how much you can achieve.
- Label everything so it’s easier to unpack at the other end.
- Declutter so that you don’t have as much stuff to move.
- Start by packing the rooms you use the least.
- Leave important and everyday items until the end.
- Don’t overfill your boxes.
- Use sturdy packing materials.
- Consider booking a self-storage facility.
- Compare truck prices in advance so you feel more organised.
Interstate removals often feel daunting. This is because you’re traversing a significant distance, so the task at hand feels huge. We recommend breaking everything down into smaller chunks, so that you can measure your progress each day. In addition to this, hiring a truck that’s dependable will reduce the likelihood of you experiencing significant problems on the moving day itself.
Some of our other top tips for making your interstate move a success include:
- Create a strict budget and form your moving masterplan around it.
- Consider using a hotel at the other end of your journey for the first night after you arrive.
- When self-moving, use a vehicle hire company that allows you to pick your truck up in one location and drop it off at your arrival destination.
- Use a vehicle hire company with offices that are close to your new address.
- Plan plenty of rest stops along the way and use overnight accommodation when necessary.
Moving to Sydney
Moving to Sydney is an exciting prospect. As an enticing business hub that has excellent employment opportunities, it’s popular with people from around the world.
As Australia’s most expensive city to live in, Sydney commands high expenses from the outset. One way to overcome this is to reduce your removal costs as much as possible, which is where hiring a truck proves useful.
Sydney is a busy city, so you may want to plan your removal times to avoid peak traffic periods. Peak traffic hours are usually 8.00am, 12.00 pm, and 17.30 pm. Additionally, factor in considerations such as how you’ll move your goods up several flights if you’re moving into an apartment.
Storage solutions often prove useful when moving to Sydney, as moving into an apartment is fairly challenging. By booking yours in advance, you can move at your leisure in the weeks that follow your arrival.
Moving to Melbourne
As a city that comes with free public transport in the CBD, Melbourne is an easy place to live. It’s well-known for its opulence and hipster vibes, but it offers many family-friendly districts in which to live.
Melbourne Central has late-night shopping on Thursdays and Fridays. As such, if you want to choose a day to move and access shops at your convenience, they’re the perfect ones. Otherwise, most major supermarkets remain open until midnight.
On the other hand, if you find you have too much stuff, hire a storage unit to place it in until you’re ready to sort through it all. Aim to successfully declutter to make the most of your new Melbourne space.
Moving to Brisbane
Moving to one of Brisbane’s many suburbs means you place yourself within an hour of Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast. In addition to enjoying the benefits of city living, you can look forward to sunny days at the beach.
Although Brisbane has excellent school districts and employment opportunities, parking is challenging in the urban areas. As such, we recommend hitting the city at a time when parking isn’t in demand to secure a space that’ll make moving in easier.
If you do find you can’t secure a parking space for long, identify a self-storage unit within reasonable distance of your new property. You can leave most of your stuff there and move in only enough items to get through your first few days, before collecting the remainder.
Moving to Perth
As one of the most isolated cities on Earth, Perth has a laidback vibe. It rests thousands of miles away from cities such as Adelaide and Sydney, which means moving there can feel like a bit of a trek.
If you do plan to hire a truck for self-moving purposes, we recommend planning your journey to Perth with plenty of rest stops. Moving to a new house is a tiring process, so you don’t want to wear yourself down before your arrival.
Even with rest stops, your move to Perth will likely still feel tiring. Because of this, we recommend using a self-storage unit for unloading your boxes so you can collect them at a later date. Spend your first few days in Perth getting to know the area and refresh your energy levels before proceeding to unpack fully.
Moving to Adelaide
Adelaide has a charming culture and some of the best dining options in Australia. It’s also full of endless family-friendly activities, making it an attractive prospect for young families looking to settle down.
If you’re moving to Adelaide at the weekend, try to remember that most shops close at 5pm or before. This means you may want to take a few supplies along with you to avoid feeling stuck for food.
If your move to Adelaide is a little rushed and you don’t have time to declutter, we recommend hiring a small amount of storage space. After moving all your essentials into your home, you can use your storage space to unpack everything that remains.
Moving to Hobart
When it comes to regions that are both beautiful and affordable, Hobart is difficult to beat. For those who worry about spending the rest of their lives renting, Hobart is a cost-friendly alternative to major Australian cities.
As Hobart is in Tasmania, you need to factor in the challenges that come with moving to an island. Make sure you work your truck hire booking around key ferry times and form a contingency plan for if anything goes wrong.
If you’re moving to Hobart and are starting out in temporary accommodation before finalising a house sale, you’ll find that self-storage is as cost-friendly as everything else in this relatively inexpensive city. By using it, you can keep all your goods with you before moving into your permanent abode.
Moving to Darwin
With an abundance of national parks nearby, Darwin is popular for lots of reasons. It’s also the perfect place to gain experience with surfing.
Much like Adelaide, Darwin is isolated from other major Australian cities. Plan your move in stages and revolve it around hotel or motel stays to avoid feeling too tired.
If you’re on a tight schedule and need to return your hire truck, leave all your non-essential items in self-storage and collect them later using your everyday vehicle.
One of the most time-consuming elements of moving to a new house is packing. Fortunately, we’re here with handy packing tips to make your life simpler:
- Start with non-essential items first.
- Pack room by room to stay organised.
- Declutter, throw away, and sell items you no longer need.
- Support breakable items with corrugated cardboard, bubble wrap, and old fabrics.
- Stop furniture from scratching by wrapping them in old sheets.
- Always place heavier items at the bottom.
- Avoid using old cardboard boxes, as they’re more likely to break.
Moving with pets
Moving to a new house with pets doesn't need to feel stressful. When you adopt the following tips, you and your furry friends will get through the process unscathed:
- Ask someone to watch your pet on the day of the move, so they don’t get in the way.
- Don’t pack their familiar items until the end and keep some in the vehicle with them so they feel comfortable.
- Plan rest stops if you’re taking a pet who requires toilet breaks and walks.
- Make sure you update microchip details when you arrive at your new destination.
- Plan how you will acclimatise your pet to their new setting.
- Install relevant chip-activated entry points at your new home as soon as you can.
- Maintain your pet’s daily routine as much as possible so they adjust to their new setting.
If you want to feel organised from start to finish, try our home moving checklist:
- Inform banks about the move.
- Re-direct your mail.
- Update all insurance details.
- Register your car at your new property.
- Take metre readings before leaving and when arriving.
- Update your electoral details.
- Arrange transfer of phone and broadband.
- Compare prices for gas and electricity.
If you’re hiring a truck to move offices, you’re taking a great step towards saving money. Although the process may feel daunting, we have tips that will make it easier.
- Invest in proper packing supplies to protect your goods.
- Decide on an organisational plan so you can start work quickly at the other end.
- Decide what you need to take with you and what you can throw away.
- Label everything meticulously.
- Start packing early.
- Ask your employees for insights on what you can pack now without affecting your current levels of productivity.
- Use a protective covering to stop furniture from being scratched.
- If possible, disassemble your furniture and re-assemble it later.
- Decide whether now is a good time for a furniture upgrade.
- Identify whether your current furniture is right for your new location.
- Move all non-essential items of furniture first so you can keep working until the last minute.
- Make sure your current landlord receives appropriate notice.
- Request a floorplan of your new space and identify where your furniture will go.
- Keep all employees up-to-date with details about the move.
- Hire a truck at your earliest convenience to ensure it’s ready for you on the day.
- Create a master list of people who need to know your new address.
- Arrange for mail re-directs.
- Give notice of your office location change via social media and your website.
- Create an inventory of items you need to move.
- Update existing suppliers and contractors.
Whether you’re moving in Australia for business or residential purposes, our trucks for hire will make your life easier. Check out our fleet to find one that’s the right size for you.