BUDGET RENT A CAR AUSTRALIA PTY LTD PRIVACY NOTICE
This notice applies to personal information we hold about you in Australia only. Because the Budget Group operates a vehicle rental system in many countries, your personal information will also be held in and accessible by Budget Group staff located in other countries.
Budget Rent a Car Australia Pty Limited ABN 89 007 348 021 (Budget) is a subsidiary of Budget Rent A Car System, Inc., located in the United States. These companies are part of the Budget Group. Budget Rent A Car System, Inc. has marketing arrangements with Zodiac Europe Limited (Zodiac), a separately owned UK-based company trading as ‘Budget Rent A Car’ through owning or licensing additional locations in Europe, the Middle East
Through these companies, and their subsidiaries and licensees, the Budget Group manage thousands of Budget car and truck rental locations around the globe. For this Notice, Budget, we, us or our means Budget and its licensees; Budget Group means all Budget companies, Zodiac and all Budget licensees world wide.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES BUDGET RENT A CAR AUSTRALIA COLLECT ABOUT ME AND HOW DOES IT COLLECT IT?
When you rent a vehicle from Budget, we need to collect certain information from you. The service you use will determine what information we collect from you. That information may include your name, contact details, date of birth, driver’s licence number, payment details, referees, company name and employee number.
We may collect information about you from you or through a travel agent, a corporate program, one of our partner programs or through a credit reporting agency. We may also use electronic tools to monitor the location, usage and servicing of your vehicle, including your speed, time, fuel consumption, distances travelled and current and previous locations visited.
If we are unable to collect your personal information, this may prevent us from providing our services to you or limit our ability to provide you with the level of service that you would normally expect from us.
HOW IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION USED OR DISCLOSED BY BUDGET?
We may use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
We use your personal information to:
- provide the services that you request;
- do all things necessary to administer those services;
- research, develop, manage, protect and improve our services and vehicles;
- communicate with you regarding your vehicle, safety, arrangements with us and other matters;
- investigate, prevent and deal with fraud, unlawful activity and breaches of our agreement with you;
- conduct customer satisfaction surveys and inform you of improvements to our services; and
- maintain and develop our software and other business systems.
Disclosure to third parties
We may disclose your personal information to third parties around the world including:
- other members of the Budget Group;
- your company or organisation if you use our services under a corporate account;
- one of our program partners if you are a member of their frequent traveller program and you have asked us to send them details of your Rental Agreement with us;
- our contracted service providers (including providers of market research, mail house and vehicle management services);
- credit card providers;
- credit reporting agencies (see ‘Payment default’ below) and fraud checking agencies;
- debt collection agencies, if you default in payment of amounts owed to us;
- councils, government and private organisations responsible for the processing of traffic related infringements or the payment of road and traffic tolls;
- in relation to an accident or claim, insurers, the police and other persons involved in the accident or claim;
- driver licensing authorities; and
- government, regulatory and law enforcement agencies where the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Use or disclosure for direct marketing purposes
We may use and disclose your personal information to offer you products and services provided by the Budget Group. We may also use your personal information to offer you products and services provided by companies participating in Budget partner programs. We may continue to provide these offers to you by email, telephone, fax or any other form of communication until you opt out. You can opt out by indicating your preference on the Rental Document or by contacting us.
If you default in the payment of any rental fees or charges to us, we may give information about you to a credit reporting agency for some or all of the following reasons: to obtain a credit report about you; to allow the credit reporting agency to create or maintain a credit information file about you; and to list your default and the debt on that credit information file. The information is limited to the types of information that may be disclosed under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and may include limited identity particulars; the fact that you owe us money; payment defaults over 60 days for which debt collection action has started; confirmation if those disclosed payment defaults are rectified; our opinion if we consider that you have committed a serious credit infringement (that is, acted fraudulently or shown an intention not to comply with your contractual obligations).
Disclosures outside of Australia
When you provide us with your personal information, we will enter your details into the centralised Budget Group databases which are located and maintained by the Budget Group and its technology service providers (at the date of this Notice) in the United States. Depending on how you use our services, your personal information
may be accessed by Budget Group personnel.
Some of the countries that the Budget Group operates in have privacy laws with general application to the private sector; other countries, including the United States, may not. You accept that we are not required to ensure that recipients of your personal information outside Australia comply with Australian privacy laws.
WHOM CAN I CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION?
If you have any privacy questions or concerns, or wish to exercise your right to access or correct your personal information (subject to exceptions under privacy laws), you can contact our Privacy Officer as follows:
By mail: Level 2 15 Bourke Road Mascot NSW 2020
By fax: 02 9353 9017
By telephone: 02 9578 1000
By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we handle your enquiry, you can call the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992. Last updated 1 December 2012.